Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Church; Meal; Have You Seen the MOON?

March 27, 2013.

My family stopped by a little after 5:30 p.m. to pick me up for church this evening. I've been wanting to go and thought about it, for a few days. During Lent there are many evening services, and Wednesdays are most attended. After the beautiful Liturgy is done, there is usually a meal on Wednesday evenings. 

Tonight there was a wonderful meal prepared by a Syrian parishioner and his family. There were at least six large pans/bowls of different items. He explained what each contained. There was only one that I couldn't have because of gluten. Oh, of course, I couldn't have the pita bread, either. Everyone raved about all the delicious pans of food ~ they looked good, the aroma was so welcoming, and all of it was tasty.

One pan had fried (or sauteed until browned) sliced almonds stirred into the mound of a few carbohydrates, and also sprinkled on top. The almonds were crispy and so luscious! I also liked the much-browned onions mixed in with the rice-and-lentil dish. Another dish looked good and was so tasty ~ it was made with peas and tomatoes. There was also a dish of red beans, yummy. Chick peas with a white liquid on them and some seasoning, another yummy! Now I'd like to know the names of each of the pans of food, as I want to attempt making them in my kitchen!

It was a lovely time at the dinner tables, with conversations abounding. The children, too, always enjoy these dinners, because they get to play with each other so excitedly. It's such a pleasure for me to see all those little ones happily playing together. 

By the way, have you seen the lovely, oh, so lovely, moon tonight? It seems very large, as it sometimes appears larger than usual, rising from the horizon. There are some clouds hovering around it this evening, and sometimes they hide the moon. I like to see some clouds stretching out in front of the moon ~ it produces a very beautiful effect.

What a lovely evening this turned out to be!  

I am ready for bed now, and plan to have a good night's sleep. 

I'll see you at the Corner Post ...

No comments:

Post a Comment