Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas Pickle; Listening to Christmas Music; Coal and A Tangerine in our Christmas Stockings.



I'm enjoying the Christmas music as I do a few little chores around here. This is Saint Nicholas Day and that makes me very happy too.  I look out the front door every once in a while to see if it is snowing out there. We may get some snow, it is said.

I've been hearing about the traditional "pickle" in the Christmas Tree. I clicked on the site that Susan suggested, to learn about it. I had not heard about this Christmas tradition.
           <  http://www.stnicksday.com/giftshop.htm  >    

Thanks to Susan, I now know, and I think it is such a lovely thing to do for our children. I also researched “Pickle in the Christmas Tree” and one of the sites was
< http://christmas.lovetoknow.com/History_of_Christmas_Pickles >.   JANINE, and any of you who crochet, you can find directions to crochet a Christmas Pickle on this site, almost at the end of that page.

On the gift shop site, I also saw some 'coal' to put in the children's stockings for sometimes being 'bad' and it is a kind of candy with a black coating. They look like raisins and are said to have a fruity bubble gum flavor.

Shucks! When we were kids, we got the REAL STUFF, right there in the coal town. NOT EDIBLE. Santa Claus picked it out of the coal scuttle by the stove, and put it in our stockings.
Yes, I guess we   w e r e   sometimes naughty. 

In our stockings, the coal was always at the bottom, and then a tangerine. Gosh, that was a very wonderful treat in those days, having a beautiful and so delicious a tangerine!

Just a thought: if Santa Claus had to bring that coal from the North Pole, he’d never make it, carrying tons and tons of coal. ALL children are naughty sometimes, and get coal in their stockings. Many of the children are corrected and taught to be good. That’s how they grow to be great children and perfect adults…

How many of you got coal in your stockings? Hmm? Hmm? You don’t want to talk, do you?

I knew the word was 'coal scuttle', but my computer dictionary didn't have it when I checked it out later. But my handy, dandy HUGE 4 ¾- inch thick dictionary affirmed my choice of nomenclature. It is a bucket-like metal container for holding and carrying coal to be used in one's stove. It has a narrow 5 inch extending 'lip' on it so you can easily pour some coal into the stove. I can still see in my mind's eye, the coal shuttle that was always at the side of the kitchen stove. 

By the way, the kitchen stove was pale green and cream colored, which I liked very much. Those stoves made the kitchen so cozy and warm.

Christmas Pickle: 2-3/4 inch long Glass Pickle and includes the "Legend of the Pickle" on a printed card.

LEGEND OF THE CHRISTMAS PICKLE
A pickle used as decoration on the Christmas Tree seems odd at first, but it is an old German tradition. When decorating the Christmas tree, it is traditional to hang the pickle last, hidden among the branches. The first child on Christmas Day to find the Christmas pickle receives a special blessing for the year and an extra gift! Great tradition to share with your family this year and for years to come!
This tradition encourages children to appreciate all the beautiful ornaments on the tree rather than rushing to see what Santa has left for them. 
Snowman Poop Topper is also sometimes put in their stockings.
    And here is another bit of information, in case you've been bad during the year: 
You've been naughty so here's the scoop.
You're getting nothing but snowman poop.

Snowman Poop Topper, our original package of Poop still preferred by many of our established customers. Simply packed in a sealed cello bag closed with a colorful header card. Contains a single serve Hot Chocolate pouch full of our creamy white Hot Chocolate with marshmallows, a chocolate dipped spoon and a pouch of extra marshmallows to sprinkle on top of your drink.

So there you have it, what I've been doing this evening, having a great time on Saint Nicholas’ Day. Listening for hours to Christmas music and Carols. Doing some research on my computer and sharing the information. ‘T was a perfectly happy time.

G’Night.




I'll see you at the Corner Post...

No comments:

Post a Comment