Monday, December 5, 2011

A Senior Center; John, A Gentleman.


In the early spring of 2002 I began go to the local Senior Center near the town where I lived. Usually people sat at the round tables near their acquaintances or friends. Newcomers soon found a place to sit, and friendships began.

There was an elderly gentleman usually full of fun whose voice was cheerful and heard all over the large room. There was such a twinkle in his eye, because he loved people.

After a few months we would have a few words to say to each other. One day he ‘happened to be’ behind me in the line for lunch. He told me that he found out what my telephone number was and tried to call me the evening before. I told him that I had been visiting my friend Phyllis. We chatted for another minute and got our tray of lunch. He went to his friends’ table, and I sat at the table I had chosen.

That evening he phoned and asked me in a jovial way if I would have lunch with him the next day. I in return answered in a jovial way “At the Senior Center?” with a slight chuckle in my voice. I thought he was kidding! He said, in a more intentional way, “Will you go to lunch with me?” Of course I said yes. That was on August 20th.

We seemed to get along very well and immediately respected each other. We began to see each other almost each day, and then it was every day. Nine days after he invited me to lunch, I sent him the following poem to let him know that he was indeed a very nice person to know.

Almost three months later he had a mild stroke, and we still saw each other. I would go to his house to assist him, or drive him where he had to go. We had lunch or dinner out quite a few times, and sometimes we would make some meals at his house.

Less than two years later, he had a very serious medical condition, and along with his daughter, I was at his side at Hospice, when he passed away. 



For John

What shall I write about?
Your infectious hearty laughter?
The way you tip your head
With certain emotions?

Your gentle, caring touch
As we walk together!
Your eagerness to accept a challenge –
Your flavorful evening cigar?

The vast supply of treasured memories
Which you tenderly hold;
Your reticence regarding gossip?
The joy you display
When you talk on the telephone with your friend.

Your obvious pride in your family,
Your clever repartee?
Your unspoken hopes and dreams?
These, and much more, my dear sir!

May God forever keep you
In The Palm of His Hand!


Anna Mae Schroeder aka Allegra
                               August 29, 2002 








I'll see you at the Corner Post...

No comments:

Post a Comment