Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Nostalgia -- I'm Missing the Snow!

November 21, 2012.

When you've lived most of your life in Pennsylvania, and move at the age of seventy-nine years of age to the state of Mississippi, you certainly do miss the snow! I miss it terribly.

I always loved the first snowfall of the year, even if it is a short time of flakes descending upon us. Sometimes it is a long storm, and the snow piles up about two feet! THAT is excitement, and a lot of work to get shoveled out. One of the most beautiful things to see is a snowfall of shiny flakes when the sun is out. Those flakes look like thousands, millions, of diamonds gently floating down to where we live.

The Birds and Blooms magazine has lovely photos of birds sitting on branches laden with snow, and you are so amazed at the beauty of snow. This is one reason that I am thinking of snow.

This one shows snow falling, and it looks like a female cardinal sitting on the branch of red berries, which are hawthorne berries. Poisonous, but so beautiful. Perhaps the berries are poisonous to some creatures and humans.  They look much like bittersweet berries. 

The bittersweet bushes grew in the woods near Grandma and Pop's farm in Pennsylvania, and they were always so pretty to see. I still miss that farm and the lands around it, because we went there quite often to visit the grandparents when we were growing up. I think they bought the place in 1939, when I was six or seven years old. I don't know what time of year they bought it.  

The hawthorne bushes I saw near Dallas, Pa., when I went for a ride about twenty years ago  to see the woodsy snow just after a snowstorm. Oh, my, how very beautiful that was, the trees and bushes were so close to the secondary road, and it was simply breathtaking! The beauty was so close to one's eyes, you had to be careful not to swerve into the snowy ditch!

On this approaching Thanksgiving Day, let us give thanks for all the wonderful times we have had this year, and for the beauty of nature around us. 


See you at the Corner Post...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment