Monday, October 14, 2013

Columbus Day; Somewhat Down in the Dumps...


October 14, 2013.


Hello, y'all. I hope you had a lovely day today ~ coming home from wherever you were; from the beach; from your quilting session; from your Oh, Caramba! Mexican Dinner; from the pizza place; from your gallery; from your classes; from the grocery store; from the dentist; from work in the office; from your department at the shipping firm; from your interview; from making cupcakes; from the movies; from your doctor appointment; from the museum; from taking out the garbage; from your music lesson; from your ski trip; from band practice; from the soccer game; from your meeting with the parole officer; from your Yoga class; from teaching your class; from your art show; from the airport; from your gig; from your job; from your sewing lesson; from no matter where you were, I hope you had a wonderful day. I think that Christopher Columbus would have been happy seeing you have such a good time today. I was just joking about the parole officer!

Yes, I am sort of down in the dumps today. I don't seem to have a lot of energy. My right hip is annoying me again, too. I wonder if the 'weather' barometric pressure is doing this to me. It is forecast that we might get rain for three days in a row ~ a couple of those days definitely will have a lot of rain. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Several days ago I was working with some of our family slides from 1971, also from 1975. I don't remember which year there was a BIG snow storm: I think it was both of those years, in fact. The one I am describing clogged up our precious dirt road that passed by our house on Shiver Hill. When such a big storm happens, school is closed for a while. Students and teachers are usually very happy to see a snow day coming! 

Our family had such fun more than one day! Even I was out there sledding, and having a great time with such wonderful activity! I had the camera, of course, and shot a lot of pictures. Someone else took the camera, and I was in a few of the photos. Dad was out there, pulling our kids on two or three sleds; also the whole family was tobogganing down the little hill, in a heartwarming row! Everyone was so active and having such fun! The Big Rock across the field was piled with snow. The slides bring so many memories and much nostalgia. 

There was a period of time in those couple of days, that everyone had to slide down the big snow hills of plowed snow after the plow went through. The snow was piled so high on both sides of the road. Even Dad was sledding down the piled-up snow! Everyone had to take a turn doing that, and it produced so many photos! There was no travel on our road because of the bad conditions elsewhere, so we had free rein of our dear snowy road. What a glorious time we had during those snow days. The dogs were romping around us, too, enjoying it as much as we were. 

Such piled-up snow on branches of trees, especially coniferous trees! The snow piles up quite high on each branch, producing such gorgeous photos. Out beyond the house where we used to play once in a while, near the clothes line, the 'sand box' that took up quite a piece of ground, the back door, and the Purple Martin House, the snow was incredibly deep. There is one photo that shows several of the children standing on the top of all that snow, at the Purple Martin House. All you could see of the pole, was about two or three feet, and the kids were taller than the bird house! Those houses are always on quite tall poles. I think the snow was extra deep because of the snow drifting in that little spot. 

There are a few shots of a mature nanny giving birth to a kid in our barn. I don't remember if it was one kid she had, or twins. Dad was the free 'veterinarian' at hand to assist with her kidding. We also had pigs, and rabbits on that 'little farm', plus a very large vegetable garden.

I am eager to get the photos sorted and scanned and made into a computer album. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm no longer 'down in the dumps'! Just thinking of those pictures gives me a happy glow.


I'll see you at the Corner Post ...


No comments:

Post a Comment