Thursday, November 7, 2013

Did You Watch the World Series? The Doggies Did.

Thursday, November 7, 2013.

Did you watch the World Series this year? I did, at the home of my son and his lovely wife, and loved every minute of it. It was so exciting to watch the game without thinking about getting to my long list of chores I left at my place.

I hadn't seen much of the pre-series games, but I was eager to watch The World Series! When I was in high school, in a rural area, the school bus would take us to baseball games, but I really didn't know a lot about the rules in baseball. I just enjoyed being 'out', and on the bus, and being with an exciting group watching the players out on the field.

I didn't even play many sports, because I was not athletically inclined. If I did play softball, I would get those 'shin splints' when I ran from base to base. Or I'd get a pain in my side. I would even get those 'shin splints' when I would roller skate on the old-fashioned ones, down the street. Were those skates  too heavy for my feet, or was I scared to skate, or was it because I was a bookworm instead of an athlete?

But during the times of those upcoming Series, I would be happy and excited like my schoolmates. I had always liked the Yankees, by the way, because that's all they talked about. The Yankees!

Nowadays, I don't usually watch baseball games, but somehow I was eager to see the World Series
this year. Oh, I know why, now! My son used to live in the Boston area, and liked the Boston Red Sox. He was now thrilled that they would be playing in the World Series. So I guess this contagious disease infected me in a hurry.

I was truly excited to be able to go to their house to see the games, because I do not have a TV hook-up yet. I know that I would be addicted to TV and I don't want that to happen now because of all the 'chores', 'projects', and necessary things I must do.

There are three almost BIG house dogs in their home, and these dogs feel they must be present if the family goes to the living room. Sometimes the family has a music jam, or something on TV is very interesting, or they have a family dinner and everyone goes to the living room after dishes are done.

Anyway, these lovable/loving doggies will lie at your feet if you are sitting on the couch, or will lie  near your shoes so they can rest their heads on/in them when they close their eyes to nap. In other words, they are very much under-foot and loving it. And so, there they were, in the living room with us, so happy to be 'watching' the Series with us, even if their eyes were closed.

Cheering? Of course, cheering! We would scream instantly if there was a run or a really lucky happening! As we did so, the three big dogs who think they are humans, would quickly get up from their lying position. Princess would nervously look for her ball so someone would throw it so she could run after it. All three would be ready to have some excitement!

It happened each time we all would piercingly shriek, yell, shout-out at our team, and some of us would stand up and begin to dance some 'hurrah' steps, throwing our arms up and moving in frenzy and getting that exquisite happy face! The dogs knew immediately that 'all hell' broke loose! They'd mingle so quickly with us, but of course, we had to pay attention to the next play, so the excitement would slow down again for a little while.

The dogs slowed down, too, muttering "DOG-done it, folks, we thought there was going to be a big celebration!" And the same thing would happen each time a player made a run, or better yet, a HOME run, and the dogs just loved every minute of it, too. Lily would always want to be as near as possible, with her head and feet on your shoes. Lucky would almost insist that he had to sit on your lap; he rarely gets that chance, and you have to steel yourself against that beautiful pleading in his big eyes. Princess is the oldest and has an obsession with her ball, always.

And this took place each night of the Series. The shepherd and two labs had a blast, and I did, too. I am so grateful for that opportunity to join in the fun of The World Series!


I'll see you at the Corner Post ...







No comments:

Post a Comment