Sunday, October 16, 2011

Band Competition; My Birthday Weekend; My Birthday High.

Yesterday there was a Band Competition at Southaven High School, and it was the longest 'half-time show' ever! I had not seen anything so grand, inventive, colorful, beautiful, and interesting before. I whimsically called it a very, very good 'half-time' show! The part that I witnessed was about two hours long. Eight bands were in this second half of the program -- there were more high school bands presented in the first part of the Competition.

I am quite impressed by the amount of planning, rehearsing, and professional presentation of these students and leaders, who put it all together. My words are not enough to describe the excitement and emotions that are produced among the spectators. I was quite moved by what I saw.

My step-granddaughter Veronica plays flute in the DeSoto High School Band, which won many awards at the end of the day. Congratulations, Veronica, on your wonderful high school band! You all are great instrumentalists. Practicing does pay off!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Birthday Weekend was simply the tops! I was invited on last Sunday to my son Bill's home for a double birthday celebration, someone else in the family has an October birthday, and we all had a lovely time. The Birthday Dinner was planned by my granddaughter Melanie. She did have a bit of help in preparation. It was such a delicious dinner. Unusual fare, and just wonderful.

Then the birthday cake came in from the kitchen, and we two celebrants had to blow out our candles. Yes, indeed, we made a wish, and we got them all out together, not a one stayed lit. So we will get our wishes! The cake was a gluten-free cake and it was so tasty. Then cards and gifts were opened, which is always a lot of fun.

My Birthday Gift was presented to me on last Saturday evening - a week ago. Bill and Jennifer came over to pick me up so we could go to see my grandson Tim play and sing solo all of the songs he has written. We were very pleased with his performance, by the way. It was his first solo gig. This event felt special to me because it was on my Birthday Weekend.

The gift was presented to me just before we left the house. It was dark, and I had locked the door to be ready to jump into their vehicle and we'd be on our way. BUT Bill and Jen stalled and asked if they could come in and see something they had been talking about. All right, it's okay with me, so I opened the door, and we went into the far end of the house. At least Jen and I did so. Bill suddenly disappeared, and after I was showing Jen what she wanted to see, Bill came into the room where we were, and said that we had better get going. All right again...

We headed for the front door again, I was locking it, and I saw out of the corner of my eye, some motion in the darkness on my front lawn. Hmmmm. Then I saw it again, uh, oh, and saw what the moving balloons were doing, they were trying to get away from the item they were attached to. OH, MY GOSH,
I couldn't believe my eyes! They were attached to a small concrete bench a bit over two feet long, just my size; it was curved just a little, so lovely and perfect!

The oohs and ahhs and my little squeals, were nothing to what I was really feeling inside. Such a great and perfect gift! Well, we had to take a few pictures of it, and me sitting on it, and finally we were settled down enough to get going on our little trip to see Tim.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Monday, there were quite a few email Birthday Greetings, and several phone calls from my family and friends. My Birthday High was well in gear. Then around 2:30 pm, the local florist phoned and asked if I'd still be home in a little while, as he had something for me. I said YES, excitedly. He came not long after, and presented a huge ORANGE BOUQUET, with four orange Bird of Paradise flowers, several orange lilies, and two large orange yarrow blossoms. Lots of greenery in the bouquet, but I was quite impressed with the ORANGE flowers, as I love the color orange, and October for me is "Orange October."

You needn't ask if I was still on my Birthday High, I most certainly was, until I fell asleep that night. What a great weekend! This has been one of my very best birthdays ever. Thank you, everyone who made this possible. I appreciate all the cards, letters, emails, and phone calls, too.

I think I'm down off that Birthday High.

I'll see you at the Corner Post...

No comments:

Post a Comment