Saturday, August 31, 2013

Did You Ever Do Contra Dancing?

August 31, 2013.

 Yesterday my son and his wife asked if I would like to go to a contra dance class with them, and I said, "Indeed I would!" The class began at seven in the evening and the dancing would begin at seven-thirty.   I was quite happy to go with them because I like to see contra dancing. I've seen it done before, in Colorado when I visited one of my daughters. She absolutely loves contra dancing.

Last evening when we reached the class, there were just a couple of people there (plus the band), and the class began then with even a few. The teacher is very patient, knowledgeable, and sweet-tempered. I know that she also loves contra dancing. I wasn't going to try to learn, because of my injured foot which has been healing day by day.

For a couple of the 'students' it was difficult at first, but they caught on quite quickly and were enjoying all the instructions. Soon more people came in, a few more 'students' and several people who wanted to dance. Dance time came and the real fun began! The music was good, with three musicians who could play more than one instrument and were very talented.

As the dancing progressed, I could see and feel the thrill of contra dancing flowing from all twenty-some dancers, and watched their faces as they lit up with gratifying glee. Their bodies even seemed to become so relaxed that they would move arms and legs with great joy. As I was watching these dancers of all ages and status, dressed casually, I realized how deeply it was moving me to recognize the emotions they exhibited. I began to choke-up in my throat (wanting to cry but couldn't - right there in public) because of the affection and love I felt suddenly.

As I settled down, I thought of all the stress that people go through because of school, work, business, parenting, care-giving and problems, and I knew that contra dancing is a perfect way to let some of that stress drain away with every song they hear and dance to. I feel that contra dancing is much better than just going out as a couple to spend the evening couple-dancing. Even square dancing (old time barn-dancing) or showy square dancing aren't enough to make us lose stress as much as contra dancing does.

When the next contra dance comes up, I would like to attend, even just to sit and watch!

By the way, there are three ways of spelling this dance, that I know of: contra dancing, contradancing, and contra-dancing. Take your pick. The dictionary may tell you that 'contre' means 'opposite', and 'danse' means 'dance'. Contredanse is in some dictionaries.


I'll see you at the Corner Post ...

No comments:

Post a Comment