Sunday, August 4, 2013

Nap; Walk; Heat; Birds; One Flower.

August 4, 2013.


Hello, You over there, 

I've been on a hiatus for a few weeks, and it's good to be back here.

There's a storm coming in, we know not when, but the forecast says possibly overnight tonight, and tomorrow. Thunderstorms and rain. The skies look stormy in places, and I hope the storms bring only rain, no damage or injury. 

I was getting quite tired this afternoon, so a Power Nap was in order. I wasn't aware of falling asleep; I suddenly woke up and found that I slept twelve minutes. Aah, how refreshing these Power Naps are! Sometimes I sleep only six or seven minutes, and sometimes about eighteen. Feels so good! 

Then I suddenly had the idea of taking a walk, and did so. That took about eighteen minutes, on my usual route. I, of course, had to stop at least four or five times to catch my breath. I'm no spring chicken these days. Besides, it was quite warm outdoors, and I chose to do this in late afternoon. Early morning is better. There are some mocking birds around the neighborhood and still feeding their young, it seems. One of the adults was on a driveway as I passed, and I noticed that it had its beak open part way. "Oh, dear", I thought, "that bird is very thirsty." So, RAIN, come on down!  

A flower that I cannot identify is still blooming on a mailbox post. It has six open white petals about two inches long in a large flat circle, and the plant is a climber. The remains of the  flowers are about one-inch spirals of fibers in a circle or sphere. It is so beautiful, the flower itself, but the plant is probably approaching its end-of-summer stopping-to-grow cycle. Most of it is dried up. I stopped to visit with it a bit on the way up and also on the way back. There is a tiny bud sort of coming out from under the flower petals. I should have had my camera with me! I must remember to take it with me the next time I walk that route. 

I'll see you at the Corner Post ...

No comments:

Post a Comment