Saturday, August 16, 2014

At the Stove All Day! A Short Power Nap?

Saturday, August 16, 2014.

At the Stove All Day! A Short  Power Nap?

My family wonders how I am if I don't email every day or so, and to let them know that I am all right, I usually send emails of all kinds. This blog article is one of those family emails (this one I wrote on August 13, after shopping at the Mennonite Farms on the visit to my sister in Kentucky).

" Good Evening, my dears,

After buying so much produce at the Mennonite Farms and Variety Store, I am trying to prepare some of them for freezing and cooking for myself. The bags of popcorn kernels, I put in smaller containers, for the pantry. The large oval watermelon was a great challenge to me, still is, the remains are in the fridge. 

I cut into it yesterday morning (I think it was yesterday), and I've been eating it a few times each day. I put some cut-up pieces in a container in the fridge, and tested another small amount in the freezer! Yes, it is all right to freeze pieces of it, I am glad to say. There are two containers of watermelon in the freezer now, for future use.  

Probably four pounds of those very small sweet peppers has been washed today, de-stemmed and the seeds taken out, and I cut up two-thirds of the little peppers into small strips. I put much of that in the freezer, and used some today in making a Pinto Bean Stew. You should taste this stew! Very delicious, and hearty, and wholesome. I soaked the pinto beans overnight and simmered them around noontime. After that, I sauteed onions, a tomato, and the pepper strips, several seasonings, then added the soft pinto beans and cooked it for about an hour. It is something I 'invented', 'concocted', 'designed', and then called it my own recipe. Lately I've been on a binge of concocting my own recipes when I cook my meals. I might have to make a little cookbook ~ wouldn't that be a good idea?

I became so tired doing all of this until three o'clock, that I decided I must lie down to rest. (I had taken an hour to relax, while still puttering in the kitchen, to sit down now and then in front of the TV at noon-ish for two cooking programs.) I did lie down about 3:15, for a short little Power Nap. Again, this idea surprised me so much as I woke up at 4:40! Then I did up the dishes, had my dinner, and I QUIT for the evening! But I must say that it was a very successful day in the kitchen at the stove.

I've been thinking of you all day long and wish I could go to see you 'just down the street'!   


Love, Mom. " 

I'll see you at the Corner Post ...

No comments:

Post a Comment