Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Baby Easter Bunnies; A Team of Work Horses; "It's Not Lunch Time."

We moved to Springville, Pennsylvania, when I was nine and a half years old. Came the following spring, we had a pair of rabbits in one of the out buildings. At Easter time, Mom and Dad told us to come up to the shed with them, so we did. They took us into the rabbits' room, and showed us a wonderful surprise. The female rabbit had a litter of very tiny baby bunnies. How exciting that was! Baby Easter Bunnies! We were so happy about that, and astonished because of the coincidence of its being Easter.

My Dad had a pair of work horses on the farm, named Babe and Bill. He shod them, brushed them, and took very good care of them. In the mid-1920s he had been in the peace-time army in Texas, and was in the cavalry. He was accustomed to handling horses. He had liked horses very much.

On the farm, he used the horses to drive the hay wagon on the fields, to haul manure to spread on the fields, and to take the cows' milk to the creamery in Springville, and he used them for other things, too.

Before we moved from Larksville/Plymouth in April of 1942, my brother Joe and I were in the parochial school, preparing for our First Holy Communion. We had to travel back to Plymouth on May 10, 1942, to receive our First Holy Communion. It took probably an hour to drive the distance.

Then in the fall of 1942, we entered school in Dimock, a few miles from our farm. I really don't remember if we went to Dimock School in the spring of 1942 for a month, or waited until the autumn. My brother was in fourth grade and I was in fifth. It was strange to go to another school, and I felt very shy.

I remember that we took our lunch to school, and at recess time I thought it was lunch time. I took out my lunch and prepared to eat. Paul Green was in sixth grade which was in the same room, and said, "Why are you taking out your lunch? It's not lunch time." Not wanting to show how much of a 'greenhorn' I was, I said, "I know!" and I put my lunch away. How embarrassed I was!




I'll see you at the Corner Post...

No comments:

Post a Comment