Saturday, February 18, 2012

Welsh Cookies; A Hymn Sing.


Did any of you ever try to make Welsh cookies? They are simply delicious. I made their acquaintance when I was living in Pennsylvania, I think it was in 1995, or 1996, after I had been in Dearborn taking care of my Mom Josephine (Gram B), and her house after her passing. 

My high school classmate and I had talked about my moving from Scranton to closer to her, in Swoyersville. We were very good friends, and I had no one in Scranton so it was a good idea. She found me a place to rent. 

After I got settled in, I would see Welsh cookies in the grocery store, as there are a great many Welsh people in the coal region of Pennsylvania. Then I went to a Welsh church when they were having a Gymanfa Ganu, which is a 'hymn-sing'. It's pronounced something like 'ga-monva gonnie'. The Welsh are known for their singing, especially the men's voices. It was a most beautiful afternoon that I spent there, everyone was singing, and they knew all the words of all the hymns. I sang, too, loving every minute. Some of those hymns are so melodic and meaningful. 

Afterwards, downstairs in the community hall we all went, for 'tea'. Welsh cookies were served and something else that I don't remember. I fell in love with those cookies! And the people were so nice to talk with. They all seemed to be enjoying themselves very much.

The Welsh cookies are made in an iron frying pan, usually, or a skillet or on a pancake grill. After that Gymanfa Ganu, I attended every one that I could, and then began to attend when they had the yearly Eisteddfod, a day of competition in reciting, singing or playing. It begins with the small children, primary grades, young adults, and then adults in the evening. I enjoyed each yearly Eisteddfod immensely.

Well, I made some Welsh cookies in the late 1990s, I think, they were rather easy to do, and I was pleased with my effort. Today was quite different. I had promised someone that I would make some Welsh cookies for them, so this morning I decided I would try. I found a recipe on the internet, because I cannot find my Welsh recipe book yet. 

I got the ingredients out, and bowls, and the dried currants. The currants were rather hard and dry when I purchased them, and I thought that it would be better to plump them up to put them in the cookie dough. So I heated them in simmering water for a few minutes, and let them sit to absorb the water. The result was that after I drained them, they were still too wet, and I should have placed them on paper towel or dishtowel to absorb the outside moisture. Next time I shall do that.

The dough was too loose and not firm as it should have been. The method is to roll out the dough on a floured board, to a thickness of about a quarter of an inch, cut circles with a floured drinking glass and cook them in an ungreased seasoned iron frying pan. About four minutes on one side, and three or four on the other side. I had difficulty with the dough, it was a bit messy to work with, but I kept adding flour to the board, and finally I got them all cooked. Frustrating as it was, they made up for that by being quite tasty, and wholesome. I do think that I will be doing those Welsh cookies again, with better-dried currants. At my age, I'm still learning...

I feel good to have made those Welsh cookies!




I'll see you at the Corner Post...

No comments:

Post a Comment