Thursday, January 9, 2014

Thursday, January 9, 2014; Rain; Foods for Today.

Thursday, January 9, 2014; Rain; Foods for Today.

" It's rainin', it's pourin', 
The old man is snorin' ". 

Wow, it's been raining rather gently but steadily for a few hours already, I think. I didn't look outdoors before dawn. 
It's cold, but not terribly. The forecast called for freezing rain, or sleet, or snow, but it hasn't happened here. Perhaps up in Memphis, it might be colder, and that forecast would then be actually correct.  

Now for the foods. Sometimes I begin the morning by figuring out what I'll have to eat during the day, because I don't want to stop my puttering just to plan what I should prepare to eat. When I'm hungry, I like to take a small serving of this or that, or a snack, like a few nuts (I don't usually have potato or corn chips on hand, they're too tempting). 

Irene had made a WONDERFUL POTATO CHOWDER several days ago, which was SO good, that she, Evan, and Miles ate the whole potful at one sitting. The young men (her sons) made a big request for her to make it again the next day. So she did, and they made that disappear, too. Then she was telling me about the potato chowder, and of course, I had to try something like that. So here is what I emailed to her this morning: 

"  I did make some chowder the other day. I did have one small/medium red potato, but I wanted mayonnaise on that, so I used a turnip instead. I sort of followed your recipe, and put real cream in it, with the tablespoon of gluten free flour, and butter. It really tastes so delicious. The cream and butter really change this chowder. 

But I think I should have boiled the diced turnip in its own water to make it soft. It is only al dente, not soft - the way I like veggies. I must remember to do that if I want to use turnip with anything. I have at least a cup and a half left of the chowder, and I'm sort of rationing it out for myself. 

I just made a plain tuna salad with horseradish, horseradish mustard, mayo, and dashes of turmeric. It is yummy. 

I also simmered, covered, a diced small sweet potato in very little water, and didn't have to drain it when the vegetable was cooked. Then I added the mayo, and frozen sweet peas. I have been doing 'the peas' several times now, with tuna, and sw potato, and potato. It's ever so good!

YUMMY! Now I'm all set for the day. Oh, forgot about some leftover Wonder Soup (Cabbage) with some milk added this morning, as another dish I can have during the day. " 

Yesterday at some odd time, I heated leftover cream of buckwheat, and put a lightly beaten egg in with it. After it was cooked, I had it as a mini-meal. The texture of the pieces of the whites were really nice, the yolk was lightly mixed within the cream of buckwheat, and I thought it was quite delicious. So if you get 'sickntired' of having to eat the same old thing all the time, experiment, like I do. Sometimes I put a tablespoon of raisins in the soup I am making, and it does make it quite interesting ~ not bad at all. 

Sometimes I have to talk about food. It's part of my genetic heritage. Let's say it is in my blood. 


I'll see you at the Corner Post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment