Thursday, September 22, 2011

My famous walk.

I feel so satisfied when I take a walk. This morning at a little after 8 o'clock, I did my walking exercise, and it took me about 22 minutes. Son Bill later was teasing me, saying a REAL walk would be about three to five miles! But he was just kidding, of course, since I am not a REAL person. I sort of do things in my own way.

On the way back from my walk, I saw across the street a little boy with an orange shirt and a yellow umbrella. He seems to be about 4 - 5 years old, and he was quite engrossed in walking from his driveway onto the sidewalk along the street, tapping the umbrella on the ground like a cane. Then suddenly, he looked up and spotted me on the other side of the street, ran back to his open garage, and disappeared.

I thought, "I'll bet that his caring parents taught him that if he saw anyone he didn't know, to quickly get back into his garage." I also had the idea that his mom or dad was in the garage doing something. As I got nearer to his house (of course I was still on the other side of the street), I could see him peeking out at me.

As I passed his driveway, I could see him several feet away from the open garage door, and I waved a
friendly wave at him from across the street. He did wave back. That made me feel good, that he was no
longer frightened.

As I got closer to my own house, I looked to see where he was, and he had started out again to the sidewalk from his driveway, tapping with his "cane" as he walked in his own little world.

About my 'famous' walk. There were times that I liked walking very much, and I'd take a walk after my chores and baking were done, and our kids were at school. But after my back problems, I did not like walking, as it was quite painful. With surgery, most of that problem was taken care of, but with increasing years changing this body, I didn't always feel like taking a walk, and I became more sedentary.

With coaxing from Son Joe and others, I did begin to take a daily walk. It was so pleasant, on the tree-lined streets, and the walks continued for quite a long while. Then I began to lose energy and desire and stamina. Back to the sedentary life. I know our kids like it when I get out for a walk.

From time to time, I start doing my walks, then I stop for some reason. I think my 'walk' is a see-saw thing, now it is, now it isn't, now it is...

See you around the Corner Post...

1 comment:

  1. I must not be a "Real" person either, as I never go on a 3-5 mile walk!

    ReplyDelete