Friday, September 30, 2011

Seven and a half minutes of fun...

There's a football game on some Fridays at the high school beyond my high back fence. Begins at 7, ends approximately at 10 p.m. I heard the band, especially the percussion unit, beginning their pre-game practicing outdoors, at 6:35. They go through the alleyway just beyond my back fence, to the playing field area. I opened the bathroom window in the back of the house so I could hear them go by, as I like very much to hear them. The only thing I can see because of the high wooden fence, is part of their faces and heads, and any headgear they're wearing.

I have a little white metal chair in my bathroom, and sat on that while I waited for them to end their practicing and come marching through on their way to the field area. I'm reading a book currently, and took that in there with me to read while waiting. Suddenly at 6:48 or so, they were all gathered near the school to begin their brilliant march through the alleyway at 6:50 p.m. This is the first time that I have heard the entire 'little concert' of the drummers, and I have to stand on my tippy-toes to see them. (I've had orders from my caring grown-up children that I must not use any stepstools or stand on anything higher than the floor.) I saw the first few pass by, and then, would it be the two drum majors (?) came marching by. I could see part of their faces, and the black hat with a huge black plume! I am so glad I could see the beginning of the band.

So magnificent, I thought, so many of the band members were wearing the black hat with the huge black plume, and then the rest of the band came marching by, like a never-ending train you watch when you are stopped at a railroad crossing. There are so many students in that band, it must be almost 150 to 200 people! There were some hatless, carrying music stands, and probably instruments, and other paraphernalia. I am very impressed with this high school's band! Near the end, there were open vehicle-carts or trucks carrying heavy xylophone tables, and other heavy instruments and equipment. There must be a dozen or fifteen chrome-plated large horn instruments, and this evening I saw one bronze-colored one. I must do some research to find out what those beautiful instruments are.

When the wonderful show was over, as that part lasted only seven and a half minutes, I closed the window, took a deep breath, and came here to tell you all about it. Perhaps one of these game-nights, I will attend a high school football game so I can see just how colorful, talented, and magnificent a band can be. I think perhaps it will be at DeSoto High School, as my granddaughter Veronica is in that band. Won't that be exciting for me to attend a game? Indeed, yes, it will!

Tonight as I am in my pajamas and under my blankies, I will hear the band march back from the field to the school, and then I'll go to sleep. I sometimes wonder why I get so thrilled every time I hear a school band, and just now I think I know. Each one of our six children played an instrument at school, and each was in the school band, including parts of the band that were stage band, jazz band, and marching band.
Music is so sweet to my ears...

No comments:

Post a Comment