Wednesday, September 28, 2011

To Bed By Six P.M.!

Did you ever have to go to bed at 6 p.m. because you were so tired? One night about a year or two ago, I had to go to bed by 7 because I was exhausted. I thought that was extreme. Last night's bedtime was more extreme.

I was going to sit down with a book I just started, and just before I had a chance to sit down, my mind said, "You are so very tired, just go to bed and we'll see how soon you will feel better." So I respected my mind's decision and changed into my pajamas, cuddled up under my blankies, and went right to sleep, about a minute before 6 o'clock. How's that for breaking records?

I slept very well, like a log, until 8:18 p.m. for my usual trip to the bathroom. I felt somewhat better than I did before six o'clock. I lay back down, thought I would drift off to sleep, but no soap. I had to get up, and went into the kitchen to do my day's dishes which were 'left for tomorrow'. I did them all up, and sent a responsive email answering that of my sister Regina. I also sent a family email about the recall of contaminated cantaloupes. I then went back to bed.

For some reason, for me there are no two days alike. My usual routines change -- I can't seem to depend on any agenda of mine. Is this how it is when one retires?

And Time, Time passes so fast. One of our grandsons is turning from 21 to 22 as I type, and I'm wondering where all that Time went since he was a baby, then a toddler, as cute and cuddly as each one of our grandchildren is. Sometimes I wish that Time would stand still so I could chain it to my wrist.

Some of my days run away so fast, that when I am getting ready for bed, I think, "Didn't I get up out of bed just an hour or two ago?" There are so many things to do, many hobbies, much reading to do, writing letters, listening to music, doing a little cooking, that I can never understand how some people can get bored!

Today I found a recipe for sauteed very young squash and zucchini, and I used the new little veggies I bought at the Saturday Farmers Market. The recipe said to cut them in half lengthwise and saute them in some olive oil, and seasoning of salt and pepper, garlic powder, thyme, and dill weed. They browned on both sides to a lovely color, and I had some for my lunch.

That project made me think of cooking thin rounds of yellow summer squash when I was quite young. That was many years ago, but I still can see the wood/coal burning stove, frying pan, and those rounds of yellow squash in my mind's eye. I did eat some as they were cooked, I must admit.

My parents moved to the countryside when I, the oldest of three, was nine and a half years old. Mom and Dad had to tend to the barn chores, and garden, and I was appointed to help in the house. I was helper at meals, and laundry, and so many other household chores. I don't remember the age I was when I was sauteing those squash, it could have been that summer, and the next, and the next. I began helping in the spring of the year we moved from town to country.

I also helped in the barn, milking cows. But let me tell you, I don't think it was a long stint of milking cows. I was 'under' a cow milking, and she kept swishing her tail, and I was complaining, and suddenly the cow kicked, I think the pail of milk was spilt, and we couldn't afford to have that happen. I was crying and Mom told me to go down to the house and make supper. I guess I was just not a milker, never liked it, as I was scared of the cow's feet. But still, to this day, I am in love with cows. I think they are one of the most wonderful of animals.

Now, how did this subject come out of my typing fingers? Oh, yes, the sauteed squash...

I'll see you at the Corner Post...

No comments:

Post a Comment