Monday, September 26, 2011

'T was a very busy and happy weekend!

On Saturday, September 24, my son Bill was going to sing and play his guitar at the Cooper-Young Farmers Market in Memphis. His wife Jennifer and my granddaughter Melanie (the one who helped me to set up this blog) picked me up and we went to see and hear Bill at his gig; we also bought some fresh vegetables and fruit.

It was with great pleasure that I sat and enjoyed his happy presentation. He is also known as Bill in the
"BillShipper.com" entity. He writes songs and sings them, as he has done for many years. His time slot on that day was two or three hours in the morning. This was a very informal occasion, with so many people walking nearby with their children, going for vegetables and other items. Men setting up a home-made manner of making beer at one of the nearby stalls, the man with the lunch items, the maintenance man walking around making sure things were running in tip-top shape, a-righting a few mikes and other things when the windy gusts came along. People meeting and talking in small groups, young kids coming with their parents and finding other kids to play with; the Farmers Market is quite a nice place, I'd say.

I was also watching some little boys playing on the area near the 'stage' on the set-up for performers at the Farmers Market. There was one little boy about 2 1/2 or almost 3, who was so fascinated with the garden hose lying on the ground next to a building there. He was trying out and experiencing a few little ways to step between the lengths of hose, somewhat like Marines at boot camp, running around little obstacles and not tripping over them. That kept the little guy busy for quite a long time.

There were also a couple of a little older boys, and the little guy would attempt to do what they were doing. He was so adorable, just learning all the 'boy' things that boys do. Of course, I was watching my own son most of the time, but I couldn't help turning my eyes to this precious little young man and his antics. His mom was seated under one of the small canopy umbrellas, watching Bill's performance, and watching her little one, taking excellent care of him with her watchful eyes and scurrying to get him out of danger from time to time.

Jen and Mel left with their veggies to go home, and I stayed to the end of Bill's gig. For lunch, he and I  purchased some delicious food from one of the vendors at the Farmers Market for our lunch there. We enjoyed our conversation while we had our lunch. Because he had another gig around 4 or 5 o'clock that afternoon at Cedar Hill Farm, we stopped at my place to take my vegetable purchases in out of the heat of the day.

We then went to Bill's house so he could get ready for his next gig. Melanie would be going with us to Cedar Hill Farm. Jennifer would be going with her daughter Veronica, who is in the marching band at her school, to a competition some distance away. So many things going on in one day -- sometimes it makes me wish I could be in two or three places at the same time!

There were many pumpkins in various places on the farm, and of course, I had to take some pictures of them. One of my very favorite times of year is autumn with the gorgeous orange-colored pumpkins! When I was in first grade we had to color in an outline of a large pumpkin on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper one day in October, and I shall never forget that picture of the pumpkin colored with an orange crayon. To this day, one of my favorite colors is orange!

The farm is quite an operation, probably having hayrides and other pastimes for school trips, and such, it has a small restaurant, and lots of things to enjoy.

After the program was over, we started out for home, satisfied that Bill's group of songs went over very well; people like his compositions. He had decided that it would be a treat to stop at Velvet Cream in Hernando for our dinner, because he had stopped there once and really liked it. It is an ice cream stand which locals call "Dip", and which has a very big menu. I'll bet you could get anything you would like there! It is busy most of the time. That place even has a quaint drive-thru. It would be quite a treat to go there again, in my opinion!

We took our food home to my place to eat, and spend some time together talking. The portions are quite large, and mine was enough for more than one meal! We three really did have a great time talking, about so many subjects. How wonderful it is when that happens, sort of unexpectedly. It was such a pleasure!

It was nine o'clock or after, when we broke up our very enjoyable little party. We would have a very busy Sunday, after a most busy Saturday! I may be able to tell you about Sunday's doings, in my next posting. Keep tuned.

See you around the Corner Post...

No comments:

Post a Comment