Monday, November 14, 2011

Hernando Art Museum; Open House; Music.

The Art Museum Collection in Hernando, Mississippi, was housed in a little house, and the house was beginning to need some expensive repair. The council decided to move the Art Museum to a different house instead of putting the money into the smaller one. The building that they bought is a big OLD house that was built in 1910. 


In June, the work began of preparing the big OLD home for the Art Museum collection. There had been scheduled a small meeting of a songwriters' group one night several weeks ago, and my son Bill invited me to go with him for that. Of course, I was delighted to go. There were only a half dozen men who came, and they spent some time discussing songwriting and some episodes that had happened in their group. (One could see that the renovating was still in progress, in that main room.)

One of the fellows played his guitar and sang a few of his songs; they discussed the songs, etcetera; then Bill played a few of his songs for them. They discussed them, also. I listened eagerly to their critiques, and to me, it was an interesting meeting. 

Yesterday, Nov. 13, there was an Open House at the 'new' Art Museum, in that same place I had been with Bill, and I was quite excited to be attending with Bill and Jennifer, his wife. The Art Museum council haven't done enough with the second floor yet, that will take some more time, but the first floor is quite lovely. Old, warm, informal, but beautiful. So many great, interesting, different, and lovely paintings, I couldn't get enough of such wonderful paintings!

There were so many people there, milling about seeing the art works, having conversations with their friends and acquaintances, and enjoying snacks and hors d'oeuvres from several tables. I, of course, sampled several of the plentiful and delicious foods. I heard one woman saying that the crowd had been larger, but some had gone home earlier. I am very pleased  that so many people attended the Open House. I congratulate the committees for all their work with food and other items.


A tall woman was singing and playing her instrument as we arrived, and after her turn was over, the directress of a dance studio presented her group of beautiful young ballerinas from four- or five-year olds, to teens. All were dressed in such lovely dance costumes. There wasn't much space in the main room for them to dance to their fullest ability, but it was well done, nonetheless. Their dancing, and each one's hair done in the traditional 'bun' in the back brought me to tears, suddenly filled with nostalgia, as I had watched my eldest grandchild Megan in her many years of studying ballet. 

After they were done and curtsied, they were to meet the directress out on the porch. Then it was Bill's turn to play. There were several groups of people around, talking together, people walking to and fro throughout the main room and adjacent ones. Bill played several of his own songs, and a few people came up to him and spoke with him several times. It's such a pleasure to hear him. One that he sang, was quite funny: My Lover Loves Liver. Another that he wrote but didn't sing yesterday, is Vicki, the Vicious Vegan. He is also known for his songs of the business world.

Jennifer and Bill were talking with friends, and I went around looking at all the paintings again and shooting some pictures of them. I hope the photos came out well. I haven't had much of an opportunity today to see them. 


I am in awe of some of the furnishings in the big OLD house (I use this term because I love the  old building very much). The decor is lovely. I am wishing to visit there again.


By the way, that big OLD house was built in the same year that my maternal grandparents were married, in Pennsylvania.

We then left and stopped at Velvet Cream, or as it's usually called, DIP. I got a huge banana split. I ate a little on the way home, and put it in the freezer when Bill and Jennifer dropped me off at my house. They came in for a few minutes, but had to leave to do some chores in the few hours before bedtime. I told them that I would finish off the banana split during this week -- in about five installments! It was a really big one, and so delicious! That Velvet Cream ice cream place has very good, polite employees with service to your liking, and good food, and I'm sure we will stop there again.





I'll see you at the Corner Post...

1 comment:

  1. I have been calling this organization by the wrong name, I'm so sorry about that. Anna Mae.

    ReplyDelete