Thursday, November 3, 2011

An Old Christmas List; one of my old short letters to my family.

In my recent digging into a box, an old Christmas List of mine appeared, dated November 28, 1992.
I wrote on it: At Last! Mom's 1992 Christmas List Since Everyone Keeps Reminding Me That I Am Late As Usual. (And here is my Christmas List for that year.)

                                                                 
                                                                 135 film
                                                             Poetry books                                      
                                                    Art books (picture books)     
                                                Blank audio tapes - 60s and 90
                                  The Night Before Christmas (for my collection)
                                    Tastes of Paradise (a book about condiments)
                                Italian Neighbors (a book about anecdotes maybe)
                                   Phone calls, cards, letters, family letters galore
                            Blank books for jotting down memories and my poetry
              Postage stamps - commemorative - for mailing my infrequent family letters
                    Calendars - art, whimsical, nature, archaeology, something unusual
  "The Tewa World" (about Tewa Indians) by Alfonso Ortiz, pub. 1969 by Univ. Chicago Press
Mother Goose Book: The Glorious Mother Goose selected by Cooper Edens, MacMillan Pub. Co.
        A box of blank greeting cards - heavy paper if possible, for me to make my own cards.
                                                         Lily-of-the-Valley soap


And then I wrote, "Well, how is that list? Whosoever drew my name no doubt has done all the shopping they need to.

I am having a good time with these adorable children [three of my grandchildren] here in Hyde Park; I've taken several shots of their antics.

Gram B [my Mom] said she should send out a Christmas list, but I'll tell you what she'd like. No gifts because she has no room for them. She would like a letter every month from each of you, a phone call every so often, and prayers that she'd get better. She told me she would put on her list: a new car, someone to do her work, and... MONEY, MONEY, MONEY. (She was joking about that last item.) She does enjoy reading all your family letters and Christmas lists.

Well, I've been writing some verse poetry now and again, and enjoy that so very much. I'll show them to you in a few weeks when I make copies. Love, Mom  -  XXXXXXX"


I'll see you at the Corner Post...

No comments:

Post a Comment