Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Winter and 'hybernating'; my cooking Muse; poetry.

For the past few weeks, it seems that I have been cooking more food for myself, and freezing the   leftovers, and my son Joe thinks it is a natural preparation for winter. He said he feels that he is eating more than he did in the first part of autumn. I believe that now of myself, for I've been eating more than usual. It may also be the forethought that with winter coming, and possibly bad weather, we instinctively preserve food for future use.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being sensitive to gluten, I have been making cookies with gluten-free flour, and also changing recipes with some different ingredients. My cookies are also for the freezer. I can easily take out one or two if I am craving them. Several days ago I made date bars, after modifying a combination of two or three recipes. After concentrating so hard on getting everything ready, and simmering the cut-up dates because they were rather hard and I thought they needed some softening-up, it seemed that everything was hunky-dory. All this leads to mistakes.

The batter/dough was put together, and in my forgetfulness I placed it in the baking pan, which was quite a job. I then remembered that the dates weren't put into the batter/dough. "Oh, dear, what do I do now?"I thought. It would have been too time-consuming to try to get it all out of the pan and messy, so I just poured the simmered and cooled dates onto the thick batter/dough. With a fork, I tried to make the dates connect with some of the dough, by running the tines back and forth. When it was put into the oven, I said a prayer that all would be well with my date bars, in spite of such a manner of putting it together.

When the masterpiece was baked, I took it out to cool, and hoped and hoped and hoped that it would be
okay and edible. It looked rather different than I thought it would be, and when it was cool enough, I cut a little piece and tasted. Heavens to Betsy! It was way beyond my dreams that it would be good. So tasty, so delicious, so different, it was hard to believe. It must have been my Muse who was doing such good work. Happenings like this make me so happy. I like to say that I have a cooking Muse because I often modify recipes with impulses to use certain ingredients when I'm cooking or baking. Life is interesting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have I told you that I adore poetry? I have loved it since I was probably quite young, while in the middle grades at school, or even earlier. I don't remember when I began to like it so much. I like to write poetry, too, but it is not always easy. Much of the time it takes much concentration, and it is slow. Every now and then I get the urge to write poetry, and it just comes out like a moderate fountain. I like those moments.

May I show you the poem that I wrote and jotted down on the first page of a book of my poems? It was written on November 30, 1992. It doesn't yet have a title. Perhaps "if you please"is its title.

If you please:
May these poems, rhymes and songs
        Be accepted as they are;
I know that many others' works
        Are much better, surely, by far.

I have a lot of fun and joy
        composing each little verse,
But, truly, when you think of it,
        They couldn't be much worse.

The words come out as they choose to do
        And I let them fall where they may.
Maybe I could... do a better job...
        Perhaps... on some other day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll see you at the Corner Post...

No comments:

Post a Comment