Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Lovely warm rain; A summer-time poem.

Today is November 15, 2011. We've been expecting rain for a couple of days, and it had rained a little in my neighborhood overnight. Today it looked like rain for quite some time, and it finally did rain a lot. There were raindrops on the kitchen window, as it rained in the early afternoon. But tonight a thunderstorm is threatening to appear, and the forecast indicates rain for tomorrow.

It has been very windy for a few days, with much warm air coming from the southwest. Cold rainy days are not very pleasant.

I was in the back of the house, and looked out through the closed blinds on the short high window there to see  if it was raining. It didn't appear to be raining, and for a minute I couldn't see out very well. It was dusk by then, and I saw a reflection in the glass of two white columns. I glanced at my left arm, thinking I had something white on, but it was still the maroon turtleneck shirt that I had put on this morning. This all took place inside several seconds... I opened the slit of blinds a little bigger, all I wanted was a quick look, and those two white columns which I thought were reflections, were the front feet of a white cat who took shelter on the outside ledge of the window! It rather startled me, never expecting the cat to be there, ever. It is a neighborhood cat who roams around, looking for moles, I think. The window sill is probably six feet high, no problem for a strong white cat! It was sitting there, nonchalantly, then licked clean its paw. No wonder I couldn't see out very well!

Continuing the perusal of some of my notebooks in the past couple of days, I came across a poem that I had written on July 8th, 1993. It is quite appropriate for today, with a nice rainy day behind us, although it's not summer.
             

            Trickle, Trickle

Trickle, trickle, goes the sweat;
This is the hottest heat wave yet.

Trickle, trickle, down my back,
Goes the sweat in a single track.

Moisture building up so high
Thunderstorms will soon come by.

Pitter, patter come the drops,
Hoping that it never stops;

Comes the thunder, then the lightning -
Makes the rainstorm so exciting.

Trickle, trickle down the pane,
Comes the lovely summer rain.

Trickle, trickle comes the rain,
Washing down the dusty train.

Falling gently through the hours,
Refreshing all the lovely flowers.

Making honey for the bees,
Giving moisture to the trees.

               -- Allegra, July 8, 1993.



I'll see you at the Corner Post...

No comments:

Post a Comment