Friday, November 11, 2011

My Sister Was Born; Vegetarian Vegetable Soup; Two Little Roses.

We had moved from one side of Buttonwood Street to the other side, diagonally across the street, to an apartment upstairs. I have a couple of sad memories of that apartment. One of those brings back a feeling of sadness, and I was hiding on a lower shelf in the pantry. I said that I wanted my daddy. Had I been scolded for something? Was I really missing my daddy? Or was I unhappy about something else? I don't remember that part. One time I was under the table and didn't want to come out.

This is the house where my brother Joe's buddy Georgie lived, in a basement apartment, it seems. We remember things, but often don't get details correctly. They played a great deal together -- they may have been the same age. They were hardy little boys.

One day, my brother Joe and I were being cared for by Mrs. Dula, who lived next door on the first floor. I remember vividly that we two children were having lunch of a bowl of Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable soup, and it seems that I didn't care much for the soup. Was it because I didn't want to be in her house, or didn't I really like the soup? It was strange to be there, and the soup was served in flat-like adult size soup dishes. Or was it because I didn't know why she was caring for us on that day?

All three of us children were born at home, which was probably the way it was done in those 'olden days'. The reason we were being cared for by Mrs. Dula was that a new baby was coming to our house!

My sister Regina was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck and she was turning blue. Luckily everything turned out all right, and she was a beautiful little baby, with a sweet personality. She was and is well-loved. She was born on the Fourth of July, and we were very happy to have her come to live with us. My Dad frequently called her his little Firecracker. She was an active little girl, wanting to do everything. When she got older, I think she liked playing with my brother, who was closer in age to her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't remember the date that I entered first grade at Buttonwood School. I always loved school, and liked learning, very much. This may have been the year that I colored the line-drawing of a pumpkin! I will never forget coloring that pumpkin with an orange crayon! To this day, I really love the color orange, but I have several other favorite colors, too. And I love pumpkins very, very much.

I remember Miss Stapleton, she was my teacher. I would love those stories she told or read, and I was a good student. As time went on, my passion for reading grew and grew. We also learned how to write in cursive, via the Palmer Method. I am still very grateful that I was taught the Palmer Method, as it makes one's handwriting very legible and neat.

I'm not sure when exactly, but I learned to sing a very pretty song in the Buttonwood School, Two Little Roses. It was in an Elementary Song Book, and I really loved that song. It tells about two little roses that creep up on the fence and into the child's window to say Good Morning. I'll write some more about that song in another posting.



I'll see you at the Corner Post...

No comments:

Post a Comment