Thursday, June 6, 2013

Another walk? Gee... more birds to watch.

June 6, 2013.

Good morning, y'all, as they say in The South. 

I went for another walk this morning, but didn't leave early enough. The humidity is not good, although there was a cool breeze now and then. I must train myself to go before 8:45 am. It seemed a little unusual, there weren't as many birds today as there were yesterday morning. My walk was a bit slower and it took twenty-one minutes, but that's all right. I always must stop to take a breath, and I make it a bit longer to watch the birds or admire flowers. Kill two birds with one stone ...   oh, no! no killing of birds!!!!!!!! 

I did see several robins here and there, and spent a couple of minutes at several stops to watch them. I love the way they stand up so tall when they stop to see what I am going to do, while studying my movements and determining if I am safe to have around or not.  

There was a shiny black bird, with a long tail, a black beak, and shiny light golden eyes. It's a bit larger than a robin. It makes me wonder what kind of bird it is, as there are quite a few blackish birds. I don't think I would have to take a college course in ornithology to find out what kind of bird that is, though. 

The vine with those star-like blossoms showed wilted blossoms this morning. It appears to be a flower that fades and dies after blooming one day and night. 

There is another one that is deep purple, across the street, that has a similar star-shaped arrangement of petals. So lovely. I did make plans to stop and look at the little lavender-colored bush that I said was a foot high. NOT. It is about sixteen inches high. This morning I made it a point to 'talk' to it, and pay homage. I feel so blessed that there are such gifts as lovely plants with astonishingly beautiful blossoms.  

Back to the shiny black bird ~  as Wikipedia says, it is a Great-tailed Grackle or Mexican Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus). He's native to North and South America. I say 'he' because the female is smaller and mainly brownish-black, with a pale brown throat and belly. And there you have it: I watched a Great-tailed or Mexican Grackle hopping around as I was passing his territory where he was pecking at the lawn. Truly gorgeous with his shiny feathers that sometimes show iridescence as he moves in the sunshine.  

Y'all have a good day, and accomplish what you planned. 

I'll see you at the Corner Post ...

No comments:

Post a Comment