Wednesday, June 26, 2013

This is for those who like kale.

June 26, 2013.

Hello, Chefs and Diners, AGAIN! 

In a cup of water, pour a tablespoon of olive oil, and half a teaspoon of butter. After you have rinsed off the leaves of kale, pulled the leaves off the stalks and broken them into bite size pieces, put them in the frying pan with the liquid I mentioned. By the way, do not discard the stalks. Cut them into three-quarter-inch pieces and use them in vegetable soup. 

Add two dashes of black pepper, a dash of dill weed, a dash or two of garlic powder, a teaspoon of dried chopped onion, a teaspoon of honey, a couple of dashes of Italian seasoning, two dashes of paprika, a dash or two of turmeric powder, and hmmm, let's see, I was staring at the spices in my little cupboard, and wondered what I could add. I probably should have quit at that point, but I was interested in adding something else. I glanced upward and spied the chili powder. I thought that a dash or two would be just fine.   NOT.

I took the chili powder and shook it not gently and there came three heavy dashes of chili powder, much more than I had wanted. Oh, dear! I was too quick in stirring and it was too late. Well, I thought, I can freeze this in small quantities and it will eventually be eaten by me. 

Simmering vegetables is one of my favorite ways to cook them. I brought it to a boil, covered it, and let it simmer away, stirring now and then and watching the amount of water that remained. I didn't want a lot of water, just enough to keep it moistened. I took a taste of it to see what it was like. Not very good, so I then added a teaspoonful of cider vinegar, and let it simmer for another fifteen minutes.
 
The kale was cooking quite well, and my next taste-testing took place. I masticated it and it really wasn't that bad, so I took another taste and said aloud, 'MMMmmm" and then "mmmMMMMMM!" What a nice surprise that was, to like the end result of the way I seasoned the kale. 

I must say that I did not freeze any of it. I ate a serving or three, and left the second half of it for tomorrow or the next day. I learned a lesson, though: we must use a measuring spoon instead of using too much muscle to shake dashes of spices out. As old as I am, sometimes I never learn. 


I'll see you at the Corner Post ...

No comments:

Post a Comment