Wednesday, June 5, 2013

On My Walk; Flowers; Happy Birds.

June 5, 2013.

Good morning, Dear Family: 

I should have gone for my walk within minutes after I woke up after a well-broken-up night. By 8:53 am when I started out, it was so humid, and the air was really 'close'. I had on a turtleneck top because I thought it would still be 'morning chill'. HAH! no way! 

As soon as I came back, I turned on the air conditioner to cool me off. My walk was all of sixteen minutes, all the way to Rasco and back, on Chesterfield. I stopped several times to catch my breath, and thought it would be longer than those few minutes. 

I stopped to admire in several places a few yellow flowers, a lawn full of beautiful white / pinkish clover blossoms, and a very lovely five-petaled lavender flower new this year. This foot-high plant grows in the same little plot that has such pretty pansies. The flower-lover at this house does a marvelous job all of the time.
 
Around a mailbox, along the street, there is a vine that has white blossoms in a sort of star shape. So pretty, it is! I thought it might be Moonflower, but I don't think so now, after I googled Moonflower images. 

There were lots of birds flitting here and there. I love those robins, they are so cautious, and keep hopping a few steps ahead of me and then to the side, to keep me off the right path to their nests. I keep wanting to say to them, I am NOT interested in where your nest is, Robbie! They are so whimsical and cute, I really enjoy watching them and having them in my neighborhood for a few months. Then I miss them when they've gone on their vacations. 

There are also a few other birds that are about the size of robins ~ some mocking birds, some darker birds, and lovely mourning doves a bit larger. Maybe those doves are just ordinary doves, but they have a long-lasting melancholy coo... coo... coo... as they sit on the top of the telephone poles. Sometimes they sit on rooftops or gables. I've seen them in the backyard from time to time, sitting on the part of the fence under a tree they call their umbrella. They shake off the raindrops from their feathery coats every once in a while, like a doggie. 

I spotted a broken robin's egg shell a couple of times this morning. Sure enough, it's hatching time for them! AGAIN! Then they are so very busy getting chopped-worm snacks for their little ones. It's quite odd how they will snatch an earthworm, and instead of just flying away with it to the nest to get out the cutting-board and chop the worms in bite-size pieces for their boys and girls, they do it on the ground. It is so interesting to watch them do this. Chop-chop, pick up the longer pieces and chop-chop again, and finally have the long earthworm in several pieces. After the food preparation, they gather it all up in their beaks and fly away with the gourmet lunch bag for their cradle-babies.  

There are several batches of baby robins throughout these long summers in Missipp, and it seems that the parents must be so tired out by Departing Time. They probably talk to each other on their way, saying, "Good grief, it's about time we can retire!" 

I'll see you at the Corner Post ...

No comments:

Post a Comment